Thursday, May 3, 2012

WIP - Bits and Pieces

This week there has been a lot going on in my sewing room with not a hell of a lot to show for it.  But here are this weeks slim pickings - hopefully by Friday I will at least have a few flimsy quilt tops to reveal.

So, the first thing I have been working on are my quilted cushions.  I absolutely love how they turned out - particularly the house cushion.  I designed these cushions with the Ikea 20" feather insert in mind.  It's all about Ikea in this house.  God bless the Swedes. 



I have finished both of the covers although only one has an insert.  Fool that I am, I thought I had bought two inserts but alas, I only have one.  And as it's a 2 hour round trip to Ikea for me the other cushion will  remain empty for the time being.



The other thing I have been working on this week is an idea I have for a quilt.  I love the rolling star block but can't be bothered with templates, so I worked out a way of making it without them.  Here is my first effort.  I like it, but I'm just not sure about what colours I'd do a quilt in or how I'd join the blocks together.  It feels like it needs a bit of something else, so I'll just let it stew for a while I think. 



I also unpicked a quilt top.  It was all ready to be quilted but after staring at it and staring at it I decided that it needed a different type of sashing so I unpicked the whole thing.  Here are the blocks all patiently waiting to be restitched.


And lastly here are two tops waiting to have their borders attached.  The first is a giant pinwheel quilt I made out of Athill Range.  I am really looking forward to doing this one because I am going to try to do scalloped borders.  


And after some internet fabric hunting I found some Hemming House to put the borders on this quilt.  I was originally going to do a thin red inner border but when I was at Hettie's on Tuesday I  decided on the soft green 3 Sisters fabric.  I think it picks up the green of the boder really well and I just can't go past fabric with writing on it.




So there you have it, my week in fabric.  All over the shop! 

I'm linking up with these two fabulous blogs - hop on over and check out what everyone else has been up to.



WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Fresh Poppy Design

4 comments:

  1. The houses cushions look fabulous, I really love the quilting on them too.
    The rolling star block looks grew too. I'd make one except that I'm over making HST's at the moment. It's a pity because I keep on seeing fabulous patterns using HST's.
    I love Ikea too, but it's over 3 hours round trip for me, so don't go very often, but when I do go I make up for it, lol, and buy heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. It's all about Ikea here too. My son used to joke with his friends that Ikea had valet parking just for me cause I was one of their most valued customers. Some people even say that I moved to Melbourne just because it has two Ikea stores.

    Love the cushions. I am working on some covers for the Ikea rectangular feather cushions. Must get moving on those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love those cushions, the quilting is fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these cuhions, you have done a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you popped by, your comments really make my day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...