Wednesday, April 18, 2012

WIP - Riley Blake Jelly Roll Quilts

I haven't been doing too much sewing this week.  My husband and I have mostly been putting the house back in order after I was away for a few days last week.  It doesn't take long for squalour to set in.  However, I have managed to make some headway on two small quilts I am making for my daughter and  my cousin's little girl.  After I made my double hourglass quilt (more on that in a couple of weeks), I began to play with the triangles I made it out of and came up with a couple of variations.  Here they are minus borders.

I think this one is my favourite, it was certainly easier to piece.  The Riley Blake Jelly Rolls have only 28 strips and yet I have still managed to get two quilts out of it - the perfect size for little girls to snuggle under.  Now I just have to find a store with yardage left for the borders and backing.  Scarlett has got her heart set on the print with the little girl on the swing for the backing.



Here is the other one, a kind of around the world number.  It was more difficult to match the seams on this one because you had to match each seam on a 45 degree angle.  Therefore there was a little stretching required which in turn resulted in an enormous amount of fullness.
 

Check out this fullness!!! I would like to say that it is just the quilt top fluttering in the breeze, but alas it's fullness.  I usually pride myself on my quilts being nice and square but not this one.  Lucky my Mum is a champion quilter and has a special talent for making bulging quilt tops lay square and flat.


And now for some general randomness.....Tonight we had our sewing circle and this is the cake I made.   A few weeks ago I bought Belinda Jeffries Mix and Bake cookbook and I have decided to bake my way through it.  This is her chocolate potato cake with chocolate ganache and because we celebrated 3 birthdays tonight at sewing, I topped her with my edible gold stars.


And finally here are some photos of the quilt Mum took off the longarm tonight.  How lovely are the feathers.  I told you she was a champion - I wasn't just sucking up to get her to fix my sow's ear of a quilt.




I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday  & Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story head on over and check out what everyone else has been up to.

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful quilts! I love the different layouts you did. It's always great to have someone around who can help out when things aren't just right! Your mom certainly does some beautiful work!

    Jess
    http://www.lifeinthewhitehouse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your two quilt tops. They look great. I'm sure some quilting will be just the thing to help that second one flatten, I always like how a little shrinkage in the dryer can right a lot of "wrongs." And kudos to your mum for the lovely quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do wish you didn't live half way around the world. Delicious looking chocolate cake and wonderful quilts sounds good to me. Your Mum is a treasure and a clever lady. I only noticed lovely quilt tops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilts look great. My daughter also wants that fabric with the girl on a swing. I like your variations - amazing how different it looks based on placement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. long arm----oh I would love to have one!
    you are so fortunate that your mom has one

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. I love jelly rolls. They make me feel so happy. Love that you teamed it with a solid. Your quilt tops are lovely. And of course, your Mum's quilting is amazing as always! (*sigh* one day! I aspire to such quilting gorgeousness myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilts. Jelly rolls are great to work with. Your Mum is very talented. Oh how I wish I could have a long arm quilter nearby.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you popped by, your comments really make my day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...