Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday Stash post AQC Melbourne

This week Mum and I went to AQC in Melbourne.  It was so good to get out of the house and be child free for a couple of days.  The Convention was held in the lovely Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens.  I felt very cosmopolitan living in the city and zipping around on trams for a couple of days. 

Here are a couple of photos of the gorgeous building that the Australasian Quilt Convention was held in....


The building was a great venue for the show and there were heaps of vendors (no pics allowed unfortunately)  I tried out a Handiquilter machine and a Sweet Sixteen.  They were both great but I have to admit to being a bit of a dud with the Sweet Sixteen.  I am more used to the longarm I suppose and found it difficult switch to the other method of quilting.  The stitch was beautiful though and it was lovely to use.

Mum and I went to the colour seminar with the extraordinary Jinny Beyer. Here she is with one of her magnificent quilts.


 And here is my very modest stash purchased at the convention.  I am a sucker for reproduction fabrics and have got something planned in the back of my mind so I picked up a few.  Karen from Somerset Patchwork and Quilting showed me how to paper piece clams so I bought some papers and the template and some time before I'm 90 I hope to have a quilt made using this technique.  I also bought some tiny hexies from her and plan to get stuck in making some pin cushions for a few birthdays that are coming up this week. 


The other fabrics came from Threadbear, The Patchwork Apple, The Quilted Crow and Needles and Pins, all of whom had really gorgeous stands.

Ok, off to make 3/8" hexagons and watch Escape to the Country - please God, let Alistair be presenting tonight!  Will be back to show you my progress a bit later in the week

2 comments:

  1. You Aussies never cease to amaze me at what you watch on the tv. I love Escape to the Country and even more so when the gorgeous Alistair is the presenter. Looks like some lovely stitching in progress there Shontelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I went to AQC, but didn't spend long there. (It was all too hard. Too many people I think.) There was a sweet sixteen there? I would have loved to have tried one. I think it might be the machine for me because the whole long arm thing and I just don't get along! (I did have a short arm Gammil that I bought in the 90's. We were not friends!) I have finally caught up with your blog move and put you on my blogroll so I can check you out when you post!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you popped by, your comments really make my day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...