Friday, April 8, 2011

Roots

My family have a shack on the beachfront in a teeny tiny town on the lower Yorke Peninsula. This week, I packed the Amy Butler Weekender and the next generation and we drove down to spend a couple of days with my dad who was there fishing for a couple of weeks.



I find that some people use the term "shack" very loosely. I remember going to a friend's shack at Goolwa when I was about 16 - they had air-conditioning and Italian ceramic tiles on the floor. Shack indeed! Rest assured that I am not one of these abusers of terminology. Our shack is just that - it hasn't changed much since our family acquired it 50 years ago.

This is our air-conditioning....


I kid you not. And let me tell you - it does not cut the mustard on a 40 degree day in a shack made of fibro with a tin roof and no insulation. Talk about sweat! In my day I have bitched long and loud about going to the shack in the Summer - but still every Christmas I drag myself down there for about a week.

This week Dad was re-cladding our toilet...no such luxuries as a flushable potty at our place...we have a drop toilet. Here is the old one - it hasn't been in use for as long as I can remember and is now home to bees.


But on the flip side this is our view



At this time of year the weather is gorgeous - nice sunny days and nights cool enough to light a fire. And best of all we have the entire beach to ourselves. Perfect for collecting shells....




Or doing a spot of sewing....



Or walking a constipated, screaming baby to sleep...



For letting time stop...


Air-conditioning and a flushable toilet aside, we're lucky.



5 comments:

  1. Ah, the simple pleasures in life - memory keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It brings back memories of our summers down at Pondie. They still fill my heart with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the lack of air-con and flushable loo......It looks delightfully idyllic! Lucky you. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place! It really bring back memories!

    Silver MLM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ôi khung cảnh với các đồ vạt thật quen thuộc và rất là hoài cổ, tôi thích bài viết của bạn >>> Chăm sóc răng miệng sao cho đúng khi mới sinh em bé ?

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you popped by, your comments really make my day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...