Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Summer Retreat Projects 2010

Here are the quilts for our upcoming retreats at Wallaroo and Mannum. We are offering the same two projects for both retreats. I have designed one of the quilts and the other is the gorgeous Jelly Stars pattern by Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree Quilts. The quilts are both made using a Moda Jelly Roll and yardage. But first a little story about the one that I have designed....my first Friday finish for the year!

Those of you who know me are aware that I am a Jane Austen tragic. I have a mini library of her books on my bedside table and read them all (except Mansfield Park) at least once a year. The basic shape of my new quilt is inspired by a coverlet that Jane, her sister Cassandra and their mother made.

Here is the Austen quilt on display at Austen's last home, Chawton.


The fabric I chose for the quilt is Rouenneries by French General. This fabric line is absolutely gorgeous but it has special significance for me because in a past life I spent a very drizzly Normandy winter living in Rouen, the town after which the fabric is named.

This is the very famous Le Gros Horloge which spans the street leading to the main shopping district in Rouen. This clock dates from the Renaissance and tells you not only the time, but the phases of the moon and depicts the days of the week using mythological subjects.


The photo below is of the Rouen cathedral, made famous by Monet, who made it the subject of over a dozen paintings. He used to sit in what was then a dressmakers shop opposite the cathedral and paint it at different times of the day exploring the effects the light had on the Gothic architecture.



One of Monet's paintings of the cathedral.



So without further ado I would like to introduce you to "Jane Says" my latest design. It is made for a queen sized bed and measures 78" x 85" with the border on.


Below is the other quilt we are offering, "Jelly Stars". It measures 74" x 74".



Patchwork on Parade will have kits available for both projects in Rouenneries, Aster Manor, Wiscasset and Blessings. Simple Abundance, Odyssea and Vine Creek are also available in a Jelly Roll only. Please contact Sharon on 0411 468 924 for details.

Our Mannum retreat is now booked out, but there a still a few places left for Wallaroo. We have a fabulous time planned for you all so give Sharon a call if you would like to be a part of the fun.


13 comments:

  1. Hi Shontell, I love what you have planed for the retreats as I will be attending both I carn't wait to get started The only thing though which one to choose??? I think though I will be going with your design.If anyone is thinking of coming to Wollaroo retreat don't hesitate last year I went to Mannum and had the best time!!!!. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment on my blog, http://the-scarlet-thread.blogspot.com/ regarding your quilt using Rouenneries. I have updated my list to include your lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm giddy after seeing your pictures! I love what you did with the diamonds on your Jane Says quilt. (I almost can't stop myself from using exclamation points too much. I usually try to avoid it.) You're a genius! Do you sell your patterns? Was this comment too stalker-y? Sorry. :) Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Austen, love that quilt of yours too!

    Blessings,
    KT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am becoming a Jane Austen tragic. There is nothing I like better than doing hand stitching while watching/listening to a Jane Austen story on the TV. Your quilt looks divine. I love Rouenneries too. I was thinging of making a quilt with scrappy triangles & no borders. Enjoy your retreats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that turned out beautifully. i love the diamonds inside diamonds. one day, i will see the cathedral of rouen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone is going to have a fabulouse time! What a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your retreat sounds fun. Your quilt is beautiful. Have fun on your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely use of Rouenneries... love the sound of your retreats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pattern is beautiful. Congratulations! I love the fabric you chose as well. Enjoy the retreats! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Jane Austen, France and your quilt! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post! And a gorgeous quilt, too! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you popped by, your comments really make my day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...